Saturday, September 10, 2011

Step Two: Hate Spiders

That last post was so hectic and full of grammar mistakes. I blame it on the 11 12-hour days I’d just had. But, really, who am I kidding? When I write as me-Elizabeth and not writer-Elizabeth, I write like I speak, so grammar mistakes are bound to abound. (See what I did there?)

Daily Goal: Get over my fear of spiders so I can do my laundry.

It’s amazing having my first day off after twelve days, but I feel jet-lagged, like I’ve just flown to Alaska and haven’t slept for 25 days. Sheesh, who knew working so hard could be so exhausting? And I’m rather sore all over, but hopefully I’ll get gigantic muscles from lifting all those crazy boxes – someone ordered a futon. A futon!! I’ve seen those dorm rooms. If it fits, it’s going to fit EXACTLY.

Our landlady came today to go over the apartment with us. She seems nice enough and said not to worry about the nicks in our walls and things, though she signed our apartment condition report as “good condition” and said she wouldn’t hold us accountable for the aforementioned nicks. I hope she’s as nice and trustworthy as she seems! It’s a good thing she came, because the laundry machine was broken, and she had me test it. So she was able to fix it. There’s only one washing machine and dryer for three three-bedroom apartments, which could be interesting, and the washer takes 45 minutes. Plus, $2 a load for each washer and dryer. Eep, more expensive than BU, and I complained about that!

The worst part, though, is how sketchy the room is. It’s in the basement, so it’s kind of dirt floor, and there are cobwebs EVERYWHERE. When I was putting my laundry in, I noticed a spider chilling next to the washer and was trying not to freak out. Then, it disappeared, but by the floor was a GIGANTIC spider. Maybe a daddy long legs, but I don’t care either way. It’s huge. I don’t like it. I don’t like doing my laundry anymore.

On the plus side, my room may not be perfectly organized, but it’s at least nicely set up, and really all I have to arrange now is the decorations. And we discovered a grocery store right on the bus line, which will be much easier than the other one .8 mile walk from here, which would be annoying enough with heavy groceries, let alone with heavy groceries in the winter. So, things are looking good.

Time to change my laundry and then take a nap. If I don’t get killed by spiders first.

2 comments:

  1. maybe you can train those spiders to do your laundry;)


    Beata

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spiders are good! They eat bugs, they're actually scared of people... I think they're wonderful. (Except the poisonous kind. The shelter is full of black widows; it's not so hot when one drops down in front of your face... being poisonous and all). The guys laugh at me because I never let them squish them. I like spiders. :) Embrace your eight-legged brethren!

    In my last apartment in EC, there was one washer and one dryer for, I think, 18 apartments. Never did my laundry there. Uck.

    ReplyDelete