Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Step Five: Stand Up for Your Hair

It’s October! Happy Autumn, everyone! The weather is certainly starting to feel like fall. It’s a good thing I bought my winter boots this weekend.

Monthly Goal: Edit my finished story and make it spick and span for anyone who might be interested in slapping a cover, a back, and a barcode on it.
This might be a bad idea to switch gears right before NaNoWriMo, but it’s high time I’ve edited it. I haven’t looked at it since the beginning of summer, though that’s a good thing. Gave me a break and a calm down. The euphoria of finishing something lasts 24 hours, tops, and then the questions and the freakouts and the worries come. So, giving yourself a break and a time to step back is a good thing.

Now it’s time to edit, and I’m feeling better about it now. Plus, a couple weeks ago, my friend gave me the biggest compliment I could ever hope to get. There are only two people I will trust to read my stories before they’re as close to perfect as I can get them. I call them my beta-readers. And one of them told me my story made her cry. (I’m assuming in a good way ;D). I’m flabbergasted and speechless.

(Don’t worry, Mom. When you finally get the story, it’s not THAT sad. It’s actually a pretty happy story.)

Enough on that, though. I’m turning superstitious and talking too much about details of writing feels like bad luck.

Week’s Goal: Start Biking

Sara’s summer roommate left us her bike and I’ve been meaning to try it out for ever, but I’m a rather lazy person. So today I’m going to get a helmet and a bike light and then theoretically on Wednesday I’ll bike to work. I’m rather terrified of biking in Boston after the wonderfulness of biking in Copenhagen buuut I’ll give it a try, at least. (If you’re confused about that – in Copenhagen bikes rule the street and are given right of way and generally need not fear cars other than a general caution…in Boston, cars hate bikes, bikes hate cars and all traffic rules and don’t much abide by anything and drivers are crazy).

I completed yesterday’s goal, which was to NOT go home directly after “work” (quickly filling out paperwork and about two hours of training at Starbucks). I walked to the library, got a book, had lunch at Panera (yummm) and then met my friend Maggie in the Public Gardens. It was a beautiful day and a guy was playing violin.

Our thought was to try to find Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges, who are filming in Boston, but they weren’t filming where they were yesterday so instead we just wandered around Boston. Stopped at Faneuil Hall and watched a street performer. I love Boston.

We also decided Monday was Awesome Old People day. Because we saw so many of them. There was one woman with a light pink top and khaki skirt and BRIGHT pink tights. I want to be her when I’m older. Then a man with the best moustache I’ve ever seen (barring the photos of the moustache competition in Anchorage). Then a couple who walked by during the street performance, so the man called out to them and the old man started dancing. Then a woman carrying a bag with Stephen Colbert’s face on it I wanted to give all of them a hug.

--

And, because it’s been a while since I updated, you get an extra long update thanks to my mom. Who sent me these two articles:



http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44579757/ns/health-mens_health/t/sperm-bank-redheads-not-wanted/



http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2011/09/19/worlds-biggest-sperm-bank-shows-redheads-to-the-door/


Seriously? We’re not in “high demand”? It’s sort of funny but mostly kind of offensive. I was talking to someone else about it and they pointed out that if it that was skin color or something people would be up in arms. But it’s just silly little red hair. I, for one, want a red-headed child more than anything else and it’s a running joke with my friends about my need to marry a redhead so I can carry on my “species”. I’ll take pride in my hair color…it’s everyone else’s loss, to lose the most unique hair color with probably the most shades. Look at my hair color. Unrelated, I’ve had three or four conversations in the last two weeks in which people decide what to call my hair color. It’s not auburn. It’s not RED. It’s not strawberry blonde (though that’s the consensus people normally come to). Moral of the story: my hair color is my favorite part about my physical appearance and phooey on people who apparently find it undesirable. If people want to follow the crowd and have average blonde and brunette babies…their choice. But me and Queen Elizabeth, we’re going to be awesomely unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment