Monday, October 31, 2011

Step Seven: Ignore your Social Life (in favor of writing!)

My mom has been dropping subtle (or maybe not-so-subtle) hints about this blog. And how it hasn’t been updated.

Sorry.

Double sorry, because I don’t think this will be a real update.

Things have been kind of crazy the last few weeks. I got my second job (my backup plan to England, which I still haven’t talked about), a good thing, too, since my primary plan is half failed (not unexpected, hence the backup plan). So I’ve been trying to figure everything out. There’s the stress of being new somewhere and having to adjust to different hours and what not. I think I’m doing good.

I DID, as of five minutes ago, complete my October goal of editing my story. For a while there I didn’t think it was going to happen because I was bad at time management. But it did happen. Now comes the search for literary agents. *gulp*

November’s writing goal is also tied-in to the not-real-update. And why there might not be a real update for an indefinite period of time. November is National Novel Writing Month, and with that comes a challenge to write 50,000 words in a month. I’ve never done it before because I’ve always forced writing to the back of my mind (as much as is possible with me) and made myself complete all my school work first. After which I was mentally exhausted and therefore could not write. So writing was hard enough, let alone writing 50,000 words (ca. 100 single-spaced Word pages). This year, however…I’m not sure if I’ll make it, but my goal is to write at least SOMETHING every day (as one of the goals before) and get to at least 30,000 words AND to exceed my own expectations.

The e-mails they send me about preparing for NaNoWriMo amuse me. It’s all about tying up loose ends (like this) and alerting people that you won’t be around (like this) and doing grocery shopping for a month and dispelling any penchant you may have for cleanliness (done LONG ago…Dad, I blame your genetics for this). Actually, Katherine, one of my roommates yesterday told me that if I ever wanted her to cook any of my dinners for me, she would. Awww. That’s just about the sweetest thing ever.

The point of this being that I’m already far behind in my journal and will probably get much farther, thus affecting this blog as well. All my writing energies will be expended on creative writing. But, who knows, maybe I’ll occasionally need a break.

What else, what else? I did walk to work once, after I recovered from my cold. It was a shorter walk than I thought, and it was very pleasant. I also finally used up all my apples with apple-y goodness treats.

Another goal for November: Despite the fact that we just had our first snowfall and that Starbucks is going into Holiday-Phase-One, which includes holiday cups (hooray!) and peppermint mochas (actually available year round, for your info, but only really special when it’s the holidays) and the Thanksgiving Blend coffee…do NOT get into a Christmas-y mood.

Actually, a Christmas-y mood would be happy and cheerful and loving and giving, so I can be that. I just can’t listen to Christmas music in my own spare time (I can’t help what happens to be playing on the radio or at Starbucks) or anything like that. I found myself wanting to listen to Christmas music the other day, and I was horrified, being that I am a very adamant Christmas-after-Thanksgiving person.

I guess this counts as a real update.

And with that, toodaloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment