Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Step Nine: Drink a Lot of Calcium

Alright, random blog entry number two.

Let’s see, maybe I should actually talk about NaNo a bit, since that’s where I was all November and it consumed all my goals.

Par for each day was 1,667 words. In the beginning, I surpassed that. Then I actually had to work and it fell. But I got it back up on the weekend. And it kind of worked like that the whole time. I complained about falling far behind, but my “far behind” was not really far. I don’t think I ever fell more than two or three days behind, and I pushed through. I think I took fewer naps, too, which is an accomplishment with my schedule.

Half the time I hated my story. One time I had sudden inspiration for a new story which was brilliantly amazing. (Did I mention I don’t follow the letter-of-the-law in NaNo? You’re supposed to start one story and keep going with it and not work on anything previous. I started something I’d already started and also jumped around stories a bit. Not much, but clearly enough to have “cheated” if I was actually following rules). My story still frustrates me a bit, but I think I’m coming around to the idea of editing. I don’t edit things. It’s a major flaw of mine. But it’s worked for me for a very, very long time, and that makes it even a bigger flaw—getting through college without ever having TRULY edited a paper puts a sort of stubborn pride in your head that resists edits.

And I won, which was an awesome feeling. And then a kind of dead feeling, because now what? As weird as it sounds because NaNo is an arbitrary goal with a fake deadline and no reward or consequences with finishing, without it looming over my head, my pressing urge to write and my proper dedication to write has fizzled miserably.

I wonder if it’d be too lofty a goal to try to finish my story by the end of December. Heck, I might as well set it as a goal and fail it if I fail it. Done.

So, an unmentioned goal of mine was to get down to DC before my cousin Krista left to go back to the west coast. She’s been “studying abroad” in DC and working as an intern at the Supreme Court (how cool is that??). October and November absolutely flew by, but I managed to make it. It was just about the shortest trip ever and at a random time, because it was what I could afford – I left Monday morning, got in Monday night and left tonight (Wednesday night) for an overnight back to Boston. The overnight seemed like a good idea at the time (plus it was three times cheaper than the Thursday morning bus) but I’m not sure how well I’ll sleep on this bus…but I don’t work until Thursday night so I can always sleep all afternoon and really screw up my sleep schedule.

It was fun. I didn’t see as much as I could have, but that’s not why I came down. I came down to see people, and partly because I’m sick and partly because it was such a short trip, I wasn’t feeling touristy. I saw the majority of the stuff this summer and so I was there for family, and it was great.

I met a bunch of Krista’s friends, and even though I hate meeting new people, I love meeting new people. Doesn’t make sense? Think of it this way – I don’t like the awkwardness and the basic questions of getting to know people. But I love meeting people. (There comes a point when you don’t like meeting new people, but it’s been a long, long time since I was bombarded with new people for six months in Denmark).

I got a tour of the Supreme Court, led by Krista herself. It was amazing and I nerded out. It was great. Standing in the courtroom was surreal. It’s the same room/setup since the uh…30s Krista said. So all those decisions that have been made since then – CRAZY.

I basically ran through the National Gallery of Art for 45 minutes before it closed. I didn’t get to see all of it, and I think I missed some of the interesting stuff, but without a map, I still somehow managed to find my impressionist and early 19th century French artists whom I love.

I got to see my other DC cousins – Casey, Mike and Kim and their son. We went to a fabulous southern food restaurant, then Casey joined Krista and I meeting Krista’s friends and basically having an awesome mini Perry reunion. It’s rough that the Perry family is so spread out and yet so cool. It would make things a lot easier if our family sucked ;-)

Oh, and a truck ran over my foot. I was crossing the street legally, as were two others. Totally fine. Krista’s decided I’m super woman or something with unbreakable bones. I’d be cool with that, if this is how I find out I’m a super hero. All for it, in fact.

I’m actually kind of glad it happened, because now I have a story about “that time my foot was run over and nothing happened other than half an hour of tingling pain”. I don’t actually believe it happened, to be honest, but hey.

So, let’s see…some goals.

December: Finish my story, don’t go broke, and fully enjoy Christmas.

This week: Make pumpkin pie and celebrate the holidays with Katherine before she leaves for her winter break.

No comments:

Post a Comment